Sunday, August 24, 2014

New Models in Beta

     There was no artcraft, but the new Night Elf male models slipped into the Beta and when Kamalia was nice enough to let me know about it I popped right over to have a look. I'm a little disappointed. I don't think it's quite as bad as Ailuuya but it was still a bit of a relief to log back into Tyl in live and see him the way I'm used to him looking. I am not happy with the face he ended up with. There was another in Character Creation I'd have picked instead if I were given the option now. Rothorin's wasn't quite as bad because he's got a beard and it helps some but... poor Tyl. And he -still- doesn't have eyebrows! They didn't fix the clean-shaven Night Elf male's lack of eyebrows like I was desperately hoping they would. And while I can understand that there are probably those who prefer it that way... I really feel like there should be an option for all the faces with regards to those eyebrows.
     Here's Tyl's current look.
     And here he is in Beta. I think I could maybe get used to it, but I feel like Tyl at least may require the spending of cash for a face I like slightly better, since I really am not sure we'll get those free recustomizations. None of the faces available are perfect for him, maybe it would have been too drastic a change but I'd have liked to see at least one male night elf face that didn't look angry/miserable.
     Here's current Rothorin
     And in Beta. I feel like the new faces are angrier than the old ones somehow.

     On a more positive note the new human males are also in the Beta and I don't have much negative to say about those. After all, comparing this Gawaine:
     (My poor untransmogged little leveling paladin.) to this Gawaine:
     It's not in the least hard to see which is better. I'm perfectly happy about this as Gawaine's new face. If I had any complaint at all about the new male humans it would just be that their mouths open frighteningly wide with a few of the animations.
     Other than that the male humans are perfect and I definitely can't wait to do a bit more with mine. The male Night Elves... I am not so sure about. Maybe I'll be happier if I can get Tyl a new face.

10 comments:

  1. I noticed not one of those male Night Elves has a even slightly happy face. Thankfully Cat's face in beta seems to have cheered up a bit. I haven't got my nerve up yet to check back on my Forsaken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't have even a mildly cheerful face. And I know that none of the faces in the live versions are happy either, but the face I'd picked for mine I thought was at least more quietly dignified than anything, in beta it just looks very very angry.

      Delete
  2. I am so unhappy with my human female's face, and I'm really sad about it! She was my first character. I made her in 2007, and I've always loved her face. It's a shame because, in general, I think they did a really great job with the human female faces, but my new one just sucks!

    Your Gawaine's face is definitely an improvement! My undead female actually looks really pretty now too, which is kind of weird, but I like it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do really hope they'll end up considering at least free recustomizations. Having your character change drastically in appearance after years of playing them is a bit beyond jarring. And even if we can't find the face we feel is quite right, at least having a chance to pick the new one might make the character feel like they're actually ours again. I'm sorry about your human female...and I'm still feeling pretty uneasy about when they get to the Blood Elves.

      Gawaine is definitely an improvement, but those old human male faces were all awful, I think so in his case I was hoping for a fairly drastic change.

      Delete
    2. Human males are where it's at... Clearly that's what we're supposed to all play?

      Delete
  3. Faces really are such a tricky thing. Gawain, though, does look much much better!

    Hmm, I think they've adjusted the Male Night Elf posture a bit -- the old models look like they're hunched forward at the shoulders compared to the new ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do move different. There's no doubt about that. With the set of the shoulders though I am not sure whether it's actually the shoulders of the model that have changed a bunch or whether they've just adjusted the placement of the shoulder armor. I know that before they wiped it my male draenei's shoulder armor kept getting moved all over the place, so I think they have been playing with that some on the newer models.

      Delete
  4. It's probably the lips that are making those nelves look angry. The larger lips lend a sort of placidity to the face, sort of like a tribal mask - fearsome but not aggressive. The scrunched up lips make them look that much more disapproving and displeased.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right about that, think shortening the face might also be part of what makes it look over all different to me, but I do think it's mostly the change in the mouth that's tipped them over from sort of stern to full on angry.

      Delete