Friday, October 3, 2014

Some general rambling

     My screenshotting mojo crapped out on me midway through September. My brain took a blogging sabbatical, though partly that's because I've been stewing over a post I want to make. This post is a bit of a catch up in the meantime. I've been playing, doing my raids which are so much fun and a bit with the Old Ladies too. Been playing some of the alts. Saelindir is 84 and Falsyr is level 70 as of today. That's two classes I don't have at 90 that are slowly making their way there.
     It seems Blizzard's made itself another stir: Does anybody read over these first? Which I think honestly bothers me less because of the sort of sexist way it comes across than because how could anybody read that and not think about how it might come across when they've already had people annoyed at them over the same thing several times this year?And about this time I had a very interesting encounter one evening in the Ghostlands.
     Leveling an alt with SprYte that evening just because we both wanted something quiet and relaxing to do.  Someone started chatting up the zone in general chat, saying hi and so I whispered them a hello back, started a little conversation because they seemed friendly enough. Bit of random chatting about RP and characters as SprYte and I leveled and somehow the subject of gender came up. Starting with the person (which intuition pegged as younger and female) telling me they assumed I was a guy(I was playing yet another male blood elf.) I replied with a simple. "You assume incorrectly."
     What followed was the first time I've ever actually had anyone react badly to me playing something other than my real life gender. I'm still a bit flummoxed.  She (I was right) told me that she hated people who played the wrong gender. She thought it was horrible. I was taken aback and asked why, assuming perhaps someone had lied to her in some way with it. But no, when I got an answer it was simply that she assumed everybody who played something other than their real life gender did so for and I quote: "Perverted reasons."
     I've written an entire post on why I prefer male characters for the most part and I don't really consider any of those reasons to be perverted. I don't consider any of my other female friends who play male characters to be perverted or any of my male friends who play female characters for that matter. I don't find people strange for playing only their real life gender either. The entire point of a fantasy game where you make your own character is to make the character that you want. The gender of our avatars is for gameplay purposes a 100% aesthetic choice. It might have other meaning for a player beyond that but as far as the game world is concerned it's all aesthetics. I like the option of playing whatever I want. I don't think I'd want to play a game where I was restricted to playing only my own gender. I like the freedom to make my characters whoever I want them to be.
     So I still can't help feeling taken aback by that hate over something that to me was largely a choice based on preferring that my armor look like armor. Then again I guess there are people who hate others for their choice of race too. Probably two strikes against me in that one because I'm unabashedly fond of my blood elves. I think the real point of this ramble is a question that bugs me every time something like sexism rears it's ugly head. And that is... will we ever as a people get over being stupid about how we treat each other?

*That other post I mentioned is still coming. It's also opinionated.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! I agree 100 % with you. Sad to see a seemingly friendly and social person turn into a narrow minded judger like that. :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely surprised and disappointed me. But I guess that's the risk you take talking to someone you don't know. Then again sometimes you just make a good friend, so it's a risk I'll continue to take now and then. :D

      Delete
  2. Um, she's playing a fantasy game pretending to be someone she's not but the wrong gender is just too over the top? Oh my yes, she sounds very young. Of all the things in the world to get your knickers in a bunch over this is so not it.

    Anyway I'm looking forward to WoD so I can make one of those good looking Human males. Just call me perverted, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was sort of my reaction. Playing a Death Knight or a Warlock is okay? But heaven forbid your Paladin not match your real life gender. (For the record I have problems with neither DKs nor Warlocks but seems to me if you wanted to have issue with what we're pretending to be in a fantasy game DKs might be something to worry about.)

      Guess we're perverted together. lol Those male humans are making me think my human paladin might finally make his way out of Outland. Because they did an excellent job on them. :D

      Delete
  3. Perverted?

    God I hate ignorance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently.

      I agree with you 100% on that. It's bliss for the ignorant I guess, but it's really annoying for those of us who have to deal with them.

      Delete